13 Top Granite Flooring Advantages and Disadvantages |Granite Flooring Uses & Installation Cost
Granite Flooring Advantages and Disadvantages | Benefits of Granite Floors | Cost of Granite Floors | Granite Flooring Maintenance Tips
What is Granite Flooring?
Granite is a coarse-grained igneous rock that is largely made of quartz, alkali feldspar, and plagioclase. It is formed by magma with a high silica and alkali metal oxide concentration that progressively cools and solidifies underground.
It is abundant in the Earth’s continental crust, where it can be found in a variety of igneous intrusions. These range in size from a few inches across dikes to batholiths exposed over hundreds of square kilometers.
Granite is a type of granitic rock that is formed primarily of coarse-grained quartz and feldspars in different proportions.
Granite is a remarkable material that is both long-lasting and lustrous. It is also one among the oldest stones used as a durable flooring material.
Granite floors add a spectacular grandeur to your home or office. Granite can be installed in an office, home, porch, parking lot, or swimming pool with a variety of finishes.
Granite flooring is typically made from. For it to be beautiful, the granite should have less variance in design. More pattern variety makes the flooring look quite unattractive.
Granite is one of the most beautiful natural stones in the world.
Why Granite is Used For Flooring
There are many reasons why people choose granite flooring. Granite is extremely durable and can last for decades.
Granite is very low maintenance and is resistant to most stains, scratches and key marks. This type of flooring is very easy to keep clean and, in many cases, it will not cost nothing to clean it.
They are not porous, and most have a non-slip surface on both sides. It is also very low in VOC’s which means they are environmentally friendly too.
In my opinion, granite is an ideal choice for a kitchen or bathroom floor; these spaces are subject to spills and splatters frequently.
Granite is also resistant to changes in moisture content, which means it will not swell or buckle with water or moisture
Different Types of Granite
Granite is a naturally occurring type of rock that is formed from magma that cooled slowly underground. It has been used in everything from sculptures and buildings to flooring. It is also, by far, the most expensive type of natural stone
Granite is made of quartz, mica, and feldspar in varying combinations. The only two minerals that are part of all granites are quartz and feldspar.
When you buy granite for the kitchen, it is sealed with a sealant that can resist acids and oils such as those found in ketchup and salad dressing.
Different Types of Granite
The most common granite colors are white, black, red, gray, and beige/brown. It seems odd to designate a single color to granite because the various grains and veins throughout can be any blend of neutral color.
That being said, every granite slab has a base color, and it’s usually either white, black, red, or gray.
The various types of granite that you will find in stores are:
- Black Granite– This granite has a black, opaque surface and a dark black color. The surface will not be polished like other types of granites. Black Granite is the most common type of granite that you will see in stores and homes.
- Blue Granite– This granite is a very popular choice for kitchen countertops because it looks beautiful with all the blues in it. It can have any color, from green to blue and nearly every color between.
- Gold Granite- This granite has flecks of gold in it, which makes it very unique. It can be used anywhere in your home, but especially the kitchen.
- Pink Granite– This type of granite has a pink and grey color to it with a lot of different nuances and colors within the granite.
- Green Granite– This granite is one of the more expensive types of granite that you can buy for your home because it’s so unique and beautiful. It can be used in any room of your home.
- Steel Grey Granite- This granite has a beautiful grey color to it and is very sturdy and durable.
- Brown Granite– This granite is a patterned granite that you can get in many different styles, but the most popular is a beige to medium brown color with black and yellow in it. It’s a beautiful granite that gives off rustic feelings.
- White Granite– This type of marble is the most popular type of stone used in homes today because it’s so beautifully white.
- Black Onyx– This granite is almost black with some white spots in it.
- Peach Granite– This granite has a light orange color to it that is very unique and looks great in any home.
- Map Stone Granite– This granite comes in many different colors and can be used as a floor or countertop material. It comes from places like China or Brazil and has a distinct look to it when compared with other types of granites.
- Red granite– This granite has a red color with iron in it. This is one of the most popular types of granite that you can find in stores that are made from rocks.
Granite Flooring Maintenance Tips
Once you have granite flooring in your home, it’s important to maintain it properly. This will ensure that it lasts for a long time and looks great. Here are some tips on maintaining your Granite:
- Make sure that you clean your granite flooring with a soft, gentle cloth or mop to make sure that the seal remains intact and the grout doesn’t get damaged.
- Avoid using acidic cleaner and scouring pads to clean your granite floor. Scrubbing with chemicals can damage the sealant coating in your granite and cause it to crack or even lift off the surface of the stone.
- Don’t use a harsh scrubbing solution or cleanser that contains bleach because this will damage the seal that is on your granite marble. If it’s too hard to remove, it will require you to replace your granite tile flooring as well as some additional work into fixing it.
- Avoid using rough sponges to clean your dirty granite floor. Scratches and grooves will be created on the stone, which will ruin the beauty and appearance of your granite.
- Don’t use stainless steel cleaning pads because they will scratch the surface of your granite floor.
- Clean your granite floor with diluted vinegar, water, and a soft cloth. You can do this by soaking the cloth in a mixture of vinegar and water or just apply the mixture on the surface of your marble floor and wipe them down. This will leave them sparkling clean without leaving any scratches like steel wool would on your marble.
- Another trick that you can do to maintain your stone is to use a non-scratch polishing pad for those stubborn stains. This will always leave your marble tiles looking flawless
- Use a granite floor cleaner that can help you remove surface stains and clean your granite without scratching it.
- For marble sealants, use a waxing or sealing cream to give your marble floors the support and protection they need.
- If your stone is in bad shape from liquids like coffee or juices, you can make it look new again by applying a combination of vinegar and water with a sponge or cloth. This will break down the stains on your surface without damaging it in any way.
- You can avoid damage or cracking in your granite by using special cleaners that will only clean the surface, instead of corroding it. It will also help you to clean and maintain your floors, which is a great benefit when you’re looking to purchase new granite flooring.
- If there are stains on your granite flooring, apply a mix of vinegar and water first and then wipe it down with a cloth or sponge that is dampened in this mixture and then wiped off on the stone. You can use a sponge mop to make sure everything is covered on the floor.
When you decide to buy granite flooring for your home, remember that there are many different colors, types, and varieties of stones.
Uses and Applications of Granite Floor
There are several uses of granite and they include;
- Countertops- This is where granite is used most and it’s used because of its durability, beauty, and beauty.
- Counters– Granite is also used as a countertop material, which can go onto any kitchen or dining room surface.
- Flooring– A lot of people will choose to install granite flooring on their homes because it’s very beautiful, durable and stylish with a variety of different types and colors. Granite is also used in homes for flooring materials as well. They are very durable and can last for many years with the proper maintenance and care. This is where people use decorative granite tiles to cover the floors in their homes because of how durable it is, the easy care they can get and the beauty that it can provide in a home.
- Bathroom Vanity Tops– This is where a lot of people use granite for their vanity countertops because it can match with any style of decor and it’s very durable as well.
- Kitchens– They use granite for countertops and flooring in the kitchen because it’s a very durable material that looks great in any home.
- Bathroom Sinks– This is where people use granite to build sinks because it’s very nice looking and can last for years, even decades in many cases, depending on how well you take care of your sink.
- Patio– Granite is used as a patio material and it’s mainly used because of its durability and beauty.
- Fireplace Mantle- There are some people who choose to use granite for their fireplace mantle because it’s durable and beautiful. It can go with any decor and looks very nice.
- Gravestones and memorials- Granite is used in these instances because it looks very nice and is a very durable material to be used for such purposes.
- Granite Medallions- These are used in flooring and other applications because they look very nice, as well as being a very durable material.
- Built In Tops- This is another type of granite that people use for countertops and it can go with any other decor that you have and is very beautiful.
- Wall Cladding & Panelling – This is another instance when granite is used in a home, because it’s very durable, beautiful and stylish.
- Fireplace Surrounds- This is where people use granite for their fireplace surrounds because of the beauty and durability that it can provide to any home or building that it’s put into, just like many other things are.
- Paving- This is where people have used granite for paving purposes because it’s very beautiful, durable and will protect the other materials underneath from being damaged on contact.
- Walkways- One of the main reasons that people like to use granite flooring is because it’s easy to maintain, easy to install and they add a lot of beauty and style to any home no matter how large or small it is. They have an elegant appearance that can be enjoyed by every member of the family in your home.
Granite Flooring Advantages and Disadvantages
Granite Flooring Advantages
The following are benefits and disadvantages of granite.
1. Granite Floor is Durable
Granite is a strong, resilient, and hard material. Granite tiles are ideal for residential properties since they can withstand a lot of wear and tear over time, making the stone ideal for families with kids.
Kitchens get a lot of activity, so it’s an advantage that it won’t get damaged easily over time.
2. Granite is Antimicrobial
Granite is resistant to both mold and bacteria that cause it to discolor and deteriorate. Granite is a more maintenance-free material.
3. Granite is Easy to Maintain
Granite flooring is easy to maintain, since it’s protected with a layer of wax. It doesn’t need special cleaners or sprays too often and it also won’t get damaged by moister in the area where the house is located.
Granite tiles are recognized for being exceptionally easy to clean and maintain in the home, which makes them ideal for use in the kitchen, which is one of the messiest parts of the house.
It also makes them ideal for anyone who has smaller children and enjoys spending time in the kitchen being creative.
4. Granite is Tough
Granite flooring is tough, but it’s not always considered to be the most durable kind of stone. Newer stones can be even more durable and resistant to scratches and dents.
It all depends on what you are looking for depending on where it will be used in your home.
5. Granite is Non-Porous
Being non-porous means that your Granite tiles are incredibly water resistant as well, which means that any spillages that occur will not be soaked up and result in damage to your tiles.
6. Granite Floors Aren’t Expensive
If you are on a tight budget for your kitchen or other granite flooring projects, then granite is one of the cheapest options that you have.
When compared to tiles or laminate flooring options however, it’s quite expensive to install. It’s usually more expensive than ceramic tile but less expensive than solid hardwood floors.
7. Granite Floors Won’t Get Stained
Granite won’t stain easily, but it does stain and discolor with age, making it a great option for those who have older children.
8. Granite Floors are Easy to Clean
Granite is easy to clean because it doesn ‘t need special cleaners or sprays as often as other materials. It’s the easiest stone to maintain in home because of its natural durability and resistance to stains and damage.
9. Variety of Colours
Granite has a variety of colors, which is one of its advantages over other stones. It shades into different tones, which is why it’s ideal for any type of home decoration.
You can choose between a wide range of colors such as brown, gray, buff, creamy white, and more. Each shade offers a unique appeal and can be used to accentuate the beauty in any room in your home.
10. Granite Has an Aesthetic Appeal
Granite has a rich and elegant feel to it, which makes it desirable in many homes as an important design element.
Granite has a natural appeal that makes people desire the stone when they are looking to redo their kitchen or bathroom floors.
11. Flexibility & versatile
Granite tiles are incredibly versatile and can be utilized in a variety of settings. Granite tiles can be used not only for flooring but also for wall coverings.
Granite allows you to be creative and use it in a variety of ways throughout your home.
12. Natural Appearance
Granite is not completely white and when it’s polished, it can have a dark, muted appearance that looks natural.
It has a natural appeal and no one would ever suspect that the stone is actually man-made. It’s easy to install and maintain, so you can add great value to your home with this durable material.
13. Granite is Temperature Resistant
Granite is temperature resistant, which means it can be used in areas where the temperatures are high or low. This makes granite perfect for kitchens that will have appliances and food being stored or cooked in them. It’s an ideal material for bathrooms as well since it can withstand the heat of the water without any issues.
Granite Flooring Disadvantages
1. Granite can be Expensive
The main disadvantage associated with granite flooring is its cost. It’s the most expensive kind of flooring.
Granite tiles are one of the most expensive materials that can be used to create a stone floor, making it ideal for those who have plenty of extra cash and want a luxurious feel to their home.
2. Granite is Fragile
Granite isn’t as strong as it looks, but it’s still not as fragile as other types of stone. Granite is one of the strongest types of stone, but it’s not as dense or heavy as other materials.
It’s still easy to chip or break, which makes it difficult to install if you don’t know what you are doing.
3. Granite is Highly Demanding
Granite requires a lot of maintenance and has many flaws. The main disadvantage associated with granite flooring is that it’s highly demanding.
Once installed, granite will be hard to repair and it might crack if dropped on the floor.
4. Granite is Expensive to Install
When compared to other materials, granite is the most expensive flooring material to install.
When you consider that it’s one of the priciest types of flooring options, then you can see why it’s not a popular choice by many homeowners.
5. Granite Floors Have a Flat Appearance
Granite tiles have a flat appearance and most often look like fake stone due to their color and texture. Since they are made of enormous blocks of solid stone, they basically just look like a large slab of stone.
6. Granite is Difficult to Install & Require an expert
Granite can be quite difficult to install and maintaining it can be a difficult task as well. The main disadvantage associated with granite is that it’s very difficult to install and maintain.
If you aren’t an expert when installing this material then you won’t be able to do a good job of installing it in your home.
7. Granite is a Very Heavy Stone
Granite is a very heavy stone, which means that you won’t be able to install it by yourself unless you have experience with handling stone. It’s ideal to hire professionals when installing such a material.
8. Granite isn’t Environmentally Friendly
Granite is not environmentally friendly and most of these stones come from foreign countries. Granite isn’t environmentally friendly since it’s not produced in the US and it has to be shipped from other countries.
9. There are Limited Options
Granite is the most common type of stone used in residential flooring in the US, but it’s not always the best choice.
Many homeowners have a hard time picking out tiles for their floors since there are only a few options to choose from.
Granite Flooring Cost
Standard granite flooring will cost between $3 and $10 per square foot. Granite is harder to install than other varieties of tile because of its weight; estimate to pay an additional $3 to $6 per square foot for installation. The average cost ranges between $6 and $20 per square foot installed for granite tile.
When you upgrade to a quality granite product, you should expect to pay between $15 and $40 per square foot.