Gabion Basket Dimensions; Gabion Basket Materials and Costs Per Metre
Gabion Basket Sizes, Materials and Costs Per Metre
Gabion Basket Dimensions
Standard gabion basket dimensions traditionally include lengths of 3′, 4.5′, 6′, 9′, and 12′; widths of 3′ and 4.5′; and heights of 1′, 1.5′, and 3′. The mesh typically has 75mm square openings, and gabion baskets can be filled with stones ranging from 100mm to 275mm in size.
The thickness of the wire used for walls can vary, with 3mm being standard for walls up to 3m in height, 4mm for architectural specifications, and 5mm for military use or taller walls. The size and dimensions of gabion baskets may also vary based on specific manufacturers and project requirements.
Gabion Wire Mesh Size
Gabion wire mesh typically comes in various sizes, and the specific mesh size can vary depending on the project’s requirements and the manufacturer’s specifications. Common mesh sizes for gabion wire mesh can range from 50mm x 50mm (2 inches x 2 inches) to 100mm x 100mm (4 inches x 4 inches).
These sizes are suitable for retaining and containing stones while allowing for proper drainage and stability. The choice of mesh size is determined by factors such as the size of the stones to be used, the project’s structural needs, and the desired aesthetic appearance.
How Thick Should Gabion Wire Be?
The thickness of gabion wire, often referred to as the wire diameter, can vary depending on the specific application and design requirements.
Typically, gabion wire mesh is available in various wire diameters, and the appropriate thickness is chosen based on the intended use and the height of the gabion wall or structure. Here are some general guidelines:
- For gabion walls up to 3 meters (approximately 10 feet) in height, a common wire diameter is 3mm.
- For architectural or standard specifications, a wire diameter of 4mm may be used.
- When gabion walls exceed 3 meters in height, or for military or higher-security applications, a wire diameter of 5mm or thicker might be preferred to reduce the risk of bulging and provide added structural stability.
The choice of wire thickness should be made in accordance with local building codes, engineering requirements, and the specific needs of the project.
It’s important to consult with a structural engineer or a gabion specialist to determine the most appropriate wire diameter for your particular application.
Gabion Basket Sizes, Materials and Costs per Metre
Gabion baskets come in various sizes, are made from different materials, and their costs per meter can vary based on these factors. Here is a general overview:
- Sizes: Traditional gabion basket sizes vary, with lengths ranging from three to twelve feet, widths between three and 4.5 feet, and heights between one and three feet. The size you choose depends on your specific project requirements.
- Materials: Gabion baskets are typically made from double-twisted, hexagonal, woven galvanized steel wire mesh. This material is known for its durability and resistance to corrosion. PVC-coated gabion baskets are also available for added protection and aesthetic purposes.
- Costs per Meter: The cost of gabion baskets per meter can fluctuate widely depending on the size, material, and supplier. On average, you can expect to pay a range of prices per meter, which can vary from a few dollars to over ten dollars per meter of gabion basket, depending on the factors mentioned above.
To get specific pricing information, it’s recommended to contact gabion suppliers or manufacturers in your area, as costs can vary significantly based on location, materials, and market conditions.