Is Concrete Coating Good?
Is Concrete Coating Good?
Yes, Concrete coating is a good option for protecting concrete surfaces. Adding a new layer of concrete coating can shield these surfaces from normal wear and tear, including abrasion, stains, and discoloration.
These coatings can also protect your surfaces from scratching, cracking, and general damage. Whether you want to protect your surfaces from damage or prevent your surfaces from showing signs of wear, adding a layer of concrete coating can greatly extend the life of your concrete.
Applying a concrete coating doesn’t have to be a difficult process. There are a number of different types of coatings available, and not all are right for every application. To determine which coatings are right for your needs, you should work with a professional concrete coating contractor.
What Is The Best Coating For Concrete?
- Epoxy – Epoxy coatings provide an attractive, durable, and low maintenance finish. They are best used for interior concrete surfaces such as flooring, countertops, walls, and stairs.
- Overlay – An overlay coating is a thin coating that is applied over top of your existing concrete surface. The overlay coating is then molded into the existing surface and then troweled into a smoother, more even finish.
- Urethane – Urethane coatings provide an attractive, durable, and low maintenance finish. They are best used for exterior concrete surfaces.
- Polyurethane – Polyurethane coatings provide an attractive, durable, and low maintenance finish. They are best used for interior concrete surfaces such as flooring, countertops, walls, and stairs.What are the two most commonly used types of coatings for concrete floors?The two most common types of coatings for concrete floors are acid and acrylic.
- Acid: Acid, or muriatic acid, is the most popular type of coating for concrete floors. This type of coating is easy to apply and leaves a non-slip finish on the floor. Acid comes in both liquid and powder forms.
- Acrylic: Acrylic is not only more durable than acid, it is also easier to apply. This type of coating requires a larger crew; 20-30 workers typically are needed to complete an acrylic coating job.
Can Epoxy Coating Be Applied Too Thick?
The answer to this question is that yes, it can. In 2005, Consumer Reports advised consumers to not overapply epoxy coating to concrete.
Epoxy coating can be applied too thick for the same reasons it can be too thin. If the epoxy coating is applied in thin coats, it can peel or blister. However, epoxy coatings applied too thick usually fail to harden.
If the thickness of the epoxy coating is too thin, the liquid primer can soak into the concrete pores. If this happens, the epoxy coating will not bond correctly, and it will fail.
If the thickness of the epoxy coating is too thick, the liquid primer is forced into the porosity of the concrete, causing the concrete to expand and crack. When this occurs, the epoxy coating will crack and fail.
If either is the case, your epoxy coating will crack and fail. However, this problem is most common when epoxy coating is applied the first time. As epoxy coating ages, it is more likely to crack and fail if it is too thick or applied too thin.
While thinner epoxy coatings can crack or fail, thicker epoxy coatings can fail.
The best way to avoid epoxy coating failure is to apply the proper amount of epoxy coating. If the primer beads up on the surface of the concrete, the epoxy coating has been applied correctly. If the primer soaks into the pores of the concrete, the epoxy coating has been applied too
Can Outdoor Concrete Be Coated?
Yes. Many outdoor concrete surfaces can be coated. Concrete that has been stained can have a coating applied that will protect the color. Concrete that has been painted can then have a coat applied. Both of these coatings can protect the concrete from UV damage.
Concrete that has been sealed can also be coated. Sealing concrete helps keep it clean, but over time the concrete can lose some of its shine.
A coating can be applied that can restore the original shine to the concrete. A coating will also protect the concrete from damage that can occur from UV rays.
How Do You Apply Concrete Floor Coating?
Concrete floor coating is a great way to protect and beautify your concrete floor. By applying a coating, you can protect your concrete floor from moisture absorption and make it easier to clean. It can also make your concrete floor more durable, allowing it to withstand wear and tear.
Before you begin, make sure that you clean and prep your floor. You should remove any debris, dirt, or dust from the floor, as well as remove any stains or cracks. Then, you should clean the floor with soap and water, making sure to completely rinse off any soap residue.
Once the floor is clean, you should prime the floor. Prime the floor with a high-quality primer, which will help improve the adhesion of the coating. Then, apply the first coat of the clear coat, following the proper application steps for the type of coating that you are using.
Apply the second coat following the same steps. Once the coating is fully cured, your concrete floor will be protected, clean, and easy to care for.