What Does Wicker Chair Mean? Between Rattan & Wicker?
What Does Wicker Chair Mean?
Wicker is a long-lasting material that can be used for furniture, baskets and many other things.
It’s made from a combination of grasses, reeds and twigs that are woven together to form the frame or shell of the piece.
Wicker chairs are used widely as outdoor furniture because they’re durable and easy to care for: just wipe them off with a damp cloth!
Wicker is a type of material that’s made from different types of grasses, reeds and twigs. It has been used for furniture since ancient times. Wicker can also be used as baskets or other things.
The word “wicker” is a derivation of the Old English word “wikke” meaning “to bend.” The material that we know as wicker today is often made from willow, but it can also be woven from other materials such as reed or bamboo.
It’s been used for centuries to create furniture and baskets, and it’s flexible enough to bend into different shapes.
What Is The Difference Between Rattan & Wicker?
Rattan and wicker are both made from the same material, but they have different applications. They can be used for furniture, accents, and other decorative pieces.
Rattan is a type of palm that grows in tropical climates. It’s used in furniture and baskets, but it’s also durable, renewable, and can be shaped into various forms.
Rattan comes from the root of the rattan plant (aka calamus) that grows in Southeast Asia countries like Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand.
The rattan cane is harvested when it reaches maturity at about 6 years old; after being cut down from the tree it takes another 3-5 years until you can use it for making furniture or baskets.
Wicker is a type of basketry, which means that it’s made from twigs, branches or reeds. It can be used to make furniture such as chairs and tables.
Wicker is an excellent choice for outdoor furniture because it is weather resistant and lasts longer than its rattan counterpart.
Which Is More Expensive Wicker Or Rattan?
Rattan furniture is typically more expensive than wicker because it’s made from a material that’s less common and harder to process.
However, if you’re looking for something that will last longer than traditional wood furniture without breaking down over time then consider purchasing something made out of rattan or wicker instead!
What Is The Benefit Of Wicker Furniture?
5 Benefits of Synthetic Wicker Furniture:
- Durability: Long-lasting and strong, synthetic wicker is a great investment for your home. It won’t break, split or rot and comes in trendy colors and styles.
- Aesthetics: Synthetic wicker looks just as good as natural wicker and retains its shape and color for years.
- Low Maintenance: Ideal for outdoor use, synthetic wicker can withstand weather and doesn’t require much upkeep.
- Versatility: Modular and lightweight, wicker furniture is easy to move and change configurations to fit your needs. You can also switch up the cushions and accessories.
- Affordability: Cheaper than hardwood furniture, wicker offers stylish furniture at an affordable price.
How Can You Tell If Wicker Furniture Is High Quality?
Purchasing wicker furniture can be challenging as quality varies greatly, from a few hundred dollars to thousands.
To determine a good quality set from a poor one, consider the following factors: materials, weave, support system, and price.
- Materials: Quality wicker is made of Polyethylene, a durable eco-friendly synthetic resin with UV inhibitors, while cheap wicker is often made of plastic that easily tears, scratches, and falls apart.
Look for a matte wooden appearance in quality wicker and confirm the material before purchasing.
- Weave: High-quality wicker is hand-woven in small sections, resulting in even patterns and symmetrical weaves, while cheaper wicker is machine-woven in large sections, causing uneven patterns and odd spacing.
- Support System: Quality wicker has a thick powder-coated aluminum frame for support, while cheaper wicker has weak, easily bent and twisted frames. Look for a strong support system and ask a salesperson to demonstrate it.
- Price: Quality wicker ranges from a few hundred dollars to over $10,000, with well-known brands like Sunset West and Lloyd Flanders costing $2,000 to $5,000 for long-lasting sets. Be cautious of low-priced wicker sets that may be low quality and have a short lifespan.