What Is Red Mold in Shower?
What Is Red Mold in Shower?
Red/Pink mold in the shower is caused by a biofilm of the bacteria Serratia marcescens and Aureobasidium pullulans. These bacteria thrive in moist environments like showers, where they feed on mineral deposits in soap scum and fatty deposits in soap and shampoo residue.
Black slime around water fixtures is usually caused by trace levels of manganese and/or iron in the water supply.
Symptoms of red mold in shower include a reddish-brown discoloration on the grout, caulking, or tiles. The fungus may cause a musty odor and can be a health hazard if it is inhaled.
Red mold can be caused by a number of different fungi, including Aspergillus, Penicillium, and Cladosporium. It is most often found in moist environments such as bathrooms and kitchens.
The best way to prevent red mold in shower is to keep the shower dry and clean. Regularly scrubbing the tiles and grout with a bleach-based cleaner can help kill any mold spores.
If red mold does occur, it can be treated with a fungicide. However, if the fungus is allowed to grow and spread, it may be necessary to replace the grout, caulking, and tiles.
To get rid of pink mold, it is recommended to wear protective cleaning gear such as rubber gloves, protective eye glasses, and a face mask.
To clean red mold from hard surfaces (bathroom showers, walls, and floors), you can use a commercial cleaning product like bleach. Combine one-part bleach with three parts water.
Next, soak a cloth in the bleach solution and apply it over the surface. Let the solution sit for about an hour, then scrub and rinse with warm water.
If red mold develops on your shower curtain, place the shower curtain in the bathtub. Add 2 quarts of water and 4 tablespoons of non-chlorine bleach. Let the shower curtain sit for an hour, then scrub and rinse with warm water.
Is Red Mold Dangerous
Red mold is usually harmless, but exposure can cause respiratory distress and trigger infections in the skin, lungs, eyes, and other organs. If you’re sensitive or allergic to mold, exposure can be problematic.
Red mold can be toxic and cause respiratory problems if its spores are inhaled or ingested. It is important to take precautions when cleaning up red mold by wearing gloves and a mask to avoid breathing in the spores.
Red mold is often characterized by its red color, although it can also be purple, green, or black.
Pink mold is not necessarily dangerous but it can cause health risks in humans and animals if it is inhaled or ingested. In some cases, pink mold can also cause allergic reactions. Chlorine or bleach solutions are effective at eliminating pink bacteria from surfaces.
What Causes Red Mold in Shower
Pink mold in showers is caused by a bacteria called Serratia marcescens. This airborne bacterial species thrives in moist environments like showers, where it feeds on mineral deposits in soap scum and fatty deposits in soap and shampoo residue.
It can also be caused by trace levels of manganese and/or iron in the water supply. To get rid of pink mold, one should use a commercial cleaning product like bleach, combined with water, to clean hard surfaces such as bathroom walls and floors.
For shower curtains, one should add 2 quarts of water and 4 tablespoons of non-chlorine bleach to the bathtub before scrubbing and rinsing with warm water.
Protective gear such as rubber gloves, protective eye glasses, and a face mask are recommended when working with chemicals to remove pink mold.
How to Remove Red Mold from Shower
To remove red mold from a shower, you can use a commercial cleaning product like bleach. Combine one-part bleach with three parts water. Soak a cloth in the bleach solution and apply it over the surface. Let the solution sit for about an hour, then scrub and rinse with warm water.
To remove red mold on grout, mix one-part water with one-part vinegar in a spray bottle. Spray the grout and allow the solution to sit for about five minutes.
Use a toothbrush to scrub the grout. Wipe away residue with warm water.
Alternatively, apply a small amount of baking soda to the vinegar mixture to create a paste.
Apply the paste to the grout, let it sit for five minutes, then scrub with a toothbrush and rinse with warm water.
If red mold develops on your shower curtain, place it in the bathtub and add 2 quarts of water and 4 tablespoons of non-chlorine bleach. Let it soak for several hours before washing as usual.
Pink mold is not actually molded but rather airborne bacteria called Serratia marcescens that thrives in moist environments such as showers.
To remove pink mold from showers, make a cleaning paste by mixing 1/4 cup of baking soda and 1 tablespoon of liquid dish soap. Using a soft bristle brush, apply paste to surfaces then rinse thoroughly.
Rinse areas with pink mold using hot water from your shower sprayer then make a paste of four parts baking soda to one-part liquid dish soap.
Apply this paste directly onto any remaining pink mold stains and let it sit for at least ten minutes before rinsing clean. Prevent pink mold from returning by disinfecting any surfaces on which you saw the mold using household cleaners like bleach or hydrogen peroxide.
How to Prevent Mold in Shower?
Mold in the shower can be prevented by keeping the tile dry. After a bath or shower, squeegee water off the shower walls to eliminate at least three-fourths of the moisture that supports mold and mildew growth.
Sealing grout lines annually with a standard grout sealer can also waterproof them and prevent mold growth.
Switching to liquid soap, running the fan during and after showering, opening doors and windows after showering, washing towels, bathroom rugs, and shower curtains regularly (at least once a week), and drying out your shower items are other ways to prevent mold in your bathroom.
To get rid of current bathroom mold, scrub with detergent and water then let the surface dry completely.
Alternatively, use a solution of 10 percent bleach and 90 percent water (a stronger bleach solution will not give better results). Spray or brush on the solution, let it sit for 10 minutes then rinse thoroughly.
How to Clean Mold in Shower
To clean mold in the shower, combine 1-part bleach with 2 parts water in a spray bottle and spritz the affected area. Let the solution sit for 10 minutes.
The mold should start to fade away on its own, but if areas of stubborn mold remain, use a coarse brush (for larger areas) or old toothbrush (for smaller areas) to scrub the mold away. Alternatively, mix baking soda with small amounts of water to form a paste.
Apply it to the mold, let it sit for 10 minutes, then use a brush to scrub it off. Other household cleaning products such as soap and water will usually do the trick too.
To prevent mold from returning, spray distilled vinegar onto the surface of your shower to kill mold spores and slow down any regrowth.
Let the vinegar dry before going on to the next step. Fully dry any remaining wet surfaces with a clean cloth towel. Ventilate the bathroom.
Hydrogen peroxide, white vinegar, and baking soda are three nontoxic products that can remove mold in shower areas effectively. If synthetic chemicals aren’t an option for your family or pets, you can use effective natural methods to get rid of bathroom mold.
If there’s evidence of mold growing on drywall or subfloor behind bathroom tile—the tiles appear to be askew or they move when you touch them—you’ll need to hire a professional to clean and repair that area.